First off, thank you for choosing Skintricate Tattoo Company as your shop of choice!!
You have just received a professional, safe, and sterile tattoo. Throughout the tattoo procedure, we have done our part - now let's focus on your part.
It is now up to you to take care of your new tattoo, so remember it is normal for the tattoo to become swollen and red within the next 24hrs, and you can expect it to get scabby and somewhat sore within the next 48-72hrs. Depending on your overall health and aftercare, the healing time varies from 2 - 3 weeks.
Please understand, this is an open wound until the scabbing and new skin forms, so treat it as such. Avoid getting it dirty, and if it does get dirty, wash it immediately. Do not allow animals or pets near it, sleep on clean sheets, use a clean towel for showering, do not touch dirty gym equipment, etc. Main point being: do not let outside stuff get INTO your open wound!
Day 1 (tattoo day)
1. Leave the bandage on for 3 - 5 hours, unless otherwise instructed by Skintricate Tattoo Company.
2. Remove the bandage, lather your hands with non-scented soap and gently rub over the tattoo, then rinse with warm water.
3. Repeat steps one and two 3 - 4 times in a row or until your new tattoo stops leaking lymphatic fluid.
4. Pat dry with a clean towel or paper towel and do not re-bandage.
**If your artist used Saniderm/Second Skin:
1. Leave the second skin on for 3 days.
2. On the third day, roll/pull the second skin DOWN your skin gently in the shower, with the water running over it. Do not rip off or pull away.
3. Wash your tattoo thoroughly with non-scented soap and water and move on to section 'Days 3 - 2 Weeks'.
Days 2 – 3:
5. Wash your new tattoo once a day in the shower with non-scented soap and water. Make sure your hands are clean when you do, pat dry with a clean towel or paper towel.
6. If you think you got it dirty or if you sweat, please repeat Steps 5 and 6.
Days 3 – 2 weeks:
7. Wash your new tattoo once a day in the shower with non-scented soap and water. Make sure your hands are clean when you do.
8. Pat dry with a clean towel or paper towel.
9. Allow the tattoo to air dry for 10 MINUTES.
10. Wash your hands, and then rub a small amount of H2Ocean/non-scented moisturizing lotion on the tattoo. Just enough to moisturize, don’t over do it.
11. Apply the H2Ocean/non-scented moisturizing lotion 1 - 2 times a day, and no more than 3 times a day. Apply the H2Ocean/non-scented moisturizing lotion sparingly; use only enough to keep your tattoo from completely drying out and cracking.
12. Repeat steps 7 – 10 if you get your tattoo dirty or sweat or workout.
13. Repeat steps 7 – 11 for a minimum of two weeks.
14. After 4 - 6 days, you may notice coloured flaking and scabbing. Don't panic, this is normal and is only the top layer of skin exfoliating. Do not pick, scratch or pull the flakes or scabs!
15. You may experience bruising and/or swelling within the first few days, that is ok! You did just endure a tattoo, which is technically a bit traumatizing to our bodies. You are welcome to ice it if you like to help, but otherwise please do not worry, it is not abnormal.
16. Toward the end of your healing process, you may notice the ink seeming dull, or shiny looking skin where the ink is. This is totally normal, it is just a new layer of skin reforming over top. Once it is fully healed, all will look normal, vibrant, and the same throughout.
17. If you did have any ink that was pulled out because of an improperly healed scab, not to worry, we cab get you in for a touch up.
16. If you experience anything we haven't described here, please feel free to give us a call or come on by, we are always happy to help!
All of the precautions listed below are important to follow for a minimum of 10 days after the tattoo, as all
could result in serious irritation, pro-longed healing and, of course, a very nasty infection!
DO NOT re-bandage.
DO NOT go sun tanning.
DO NOT go swimming in a pool, hot tub, lake, ocean, or any large body/form of water for at least 2 weeks.
DO NOT pick, pull or scratch! It is just like a scab - if anything comes off while cleaning that’s fine; if not just leave it alone.
DO NOT place your healing tattoo on dirty gym equipment.
DO NOT let your pet(s) lie on, lick, or rub against your new tattoo.
Please don’t hesitate to call us here at the shop at 905-858-5055 with any questions or concerns.